James 4:8a – Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. (NKJV)
Philippians 4:6 – Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God. (NKJV)
I always enjoy reading the signs on church lawns. Here are some of my favourites on prayer:
- You'll never get a busy signal on the prayer line to heaven.
- The quickest way to get back on your feet is to get down on your knees.
- Praying should be as natural as breathing.
- If you're too busy to pray, you're too busy.
- To make the most of your time, take time to pray.
- Kneeling keeps you in good standing with God.
- If we take God seriously, we'll be serious about prayer.
- God hears more than words; He listens to the heart.
- Life is fragile; handle with prayer.
- Seven days without prayer makes one weak.
- When you pray for rain, carry an umbrella.
What is prayer?
Prayer is talking and listening to God. God is always with us so we can talk with God throughout our day. The Bible calls this "praying without ceasing" (1 Thessalonians 5:17 NKJV). No matter where we are, no matter what we're doing, we can spend time in God's presence every day — not just talking to God, but listening to Him as well. The more time we spend with God, the better we will know Him. Start each day with God and fill each day full of prayer.
Jesus Himself often spent whole nights in prayer to God, His Father, as we are told, for example, in Luke 6:12. As the disciples watched Jesus praying, they realized how important it was, and they asked Jesus to teach them how to pray. He told them not to try to impress others with their prayers. Then He told them how to pray using the model prayer — the Lord's Prayer.
I'd like to encourage us to make a decision to pray more — to make prayer a priority in our lives. Prayer keeps us dependent on God to meet our needs. Prayer puts every situation in God's hands.
Prayer: Heavenly Father, may we never be too busy to pray. Help us to take time each day not only to talk to You but to listen as well for Your still small voice. Help us not to worry about anything but to pray about everything. We thank You that we can come to You at any time and for any reason. As we bring to You our failures and our sins, our joys and our thanks, our worries and our concerns, may we discover the joy of Your presence every day. How good it is to know that You care about each one of us and that You are always ready to listen to us. In Jesus' name, we pray. Amen.