Take Up Thy Cross
Author: Charles William Everest
1. 'Take up thy cross,' the Saviour said,
'If thou wouldst My disciple be;
Deny thyself, the world forsake,
And humbly follow after Me.'
2. Take up thy cross; let not its weight
Fill thy weak spirit with alarm;
His strength shall bear thy spirit up,
And brace thy heart, and nerve thine arm.
3. Take up thy cross, nor heed the shame;
Nor let thy foolish pride rebel:
The Lord for thee the cross endured,
To save thy soul from death and hell.
4. Take up thy cross, then, in His strength,
And calmly every danger brave;
'Twill guide thee to a better home,
And lead to victory o'er the grave.
5. Take up thy cross and follow Christ,
Nor think till death to lay it down;
For only he who bears the cross
May hope to wear the glorious crown.