Listen to this devotional:
Listen while you read: "Hark The Glad Sound"1 (Lyrics)
"Why don't you come for a visit, Charles? It'll be a good chance to get away from everything and relax. Just come by yourself, no need to bring anything." I've had some weird dreams before, but this was definitely one to remember. I was inviting King Charles III to come and stay at my small, humble, summer home in the remote White Mountains of northern Arizona, USA!
It was several days after Queen Elizabeth's death. The night before this dream, I watched several newscasts showing the memorial services and Charles' accession ceremony, so I guess that it was on my mind. I am also quite pleased with the newly remodelled second bedroom in my summer home, and I have recently had several people stay there. The day before, I'd invited another friend to come the following weekend. Evidently, my brain put all this together, resulting in a very strange dream.
It's improbable that I would ever get the chance to even speak to King Charles Philip Arthur George III, nor would I want the hassle and red tape of hosting him, even if I had appropriate accommodations. But I can — and did — invite King Jesus, my Saviour, my Redeemer, the Lamb of God, into my heart and home. This is the most important decision that a person can ever make. I made it years ago as a child of five. If you have never experienced salvation in and through Jesus Christ, don't delay! Accepting Jesus affects our eternity, but it also has a powerful effect on our life on earth. A love relationship with Jesus changes everything and is the first and most important step in pursuing God's best for ourselves.
Some might wonder why they should make this decision: "What's in it for me? How will it affect my life?"
- Jesus transforms us from being enemies of God into being reconciled with Him. This brings peace with what God is doing in our lives and an ability to trust Him in all things.
- We don't have to try to work for or earn God's love. "We love [God] because He first loved us." (1 John 4:19 NKJV)
- We are freed from both the guilt of our sins and also the controlling power of sin, because Jesus died on the cross to forgive our sins.
- We don't have to fear death. Our destination is heaven and a glorious eternal life with Jesus.
- We don't have to worry about others' approval. Our aim is to please the holy heart of God.
Have you made this decision? If not, pray with me:
Prayer: Dear Lord Jesus, I do believe that You are the Son of God and that You died on the cross to pay the penalty for my sin. I invite You to come into my life, forgive my sin, and make me a part of the family of God. Come into my life and take control of it. Thank You for Your gift of eternal life and for Your Holy Spirit, Who has come to live in me. I ask this in Your name. Amen.