Listen to this devotional:
Listen while you read: "Christians Awake"1 (Lyrics)
We're all familiar with the nursery rhyme:
- Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall,
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall;
All the king's horses and all the king's men
Couldn't put Humpty together again.
At times it seems like the world is falling apart, that our lives are falling apart.
- people get sick or even die
- people are hungry and homeless
- people suffer from depression and mental illness
- people are lonely
- relationships fall apart
- there are wars and shootings
And on it goes.
The news these days is anything but good, most of the time.
But wait! There is Good News! A Saviour was born! His name is Jesus. He came to save us from our sins. He came that we might know God's peace in our hearts and in our lives. In fact, He is the Prince of Peace. He came to put us back together again.
Luke 2:11 – Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord. (NIV)
We all yearn for peace on earth and peace in our own lives. We sing of peace at this time of the year in many of our Christmas carols.
- Peace on the earth, goodwill to men, from heaven's all gracious King (It came upon a midnight clear)
- And praises sing to God the King, and peace to men on earth (O little town of Bethlehem)
- Peace on earth and mercy mild… Hail the heaven-born Prince of Peace! (Hark, the herald angels sing)
- Let everyone know, there is hope for all to find peace (Mary's Boy Child)
- Come kneel before the radiant Boy, Who brings you beauty, peace and joy (The Huron Carol)
- All glory be to God on high, and to the earth be peace (While shepherds watched their flocks by night)
Jesus is the answer to peace on earth. In Jesus, there is hope for a better world — a world where there is peace, a world put back together again the way God intended it to be from the very beginning.
We are put back together again into a relationship with our heavenly Father in the work of Jesus on the cross at Calvary. God made peace with mankind through the blood of Christ's death on the cross.
Isaiah 53:5 – But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed. (NIV)
Real peace comes only to those who follow the One who is called the Prince of Peace, who was, and is, and is to come.
Come, Lord Jesus, come.
Prayer: Glory to God in the highest heaven! We are so thankful for the gift of Jesus, who made peace through His blood, shed on the cross. May we be filled with all joy and peace as we trust in Him, so that we may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. May the peace of Christ rule in our hearts, since as members of one body we were called to peace. May God Himself, the God of peace, sanctify us through and through. May our whole spirit, soul, and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, in whose holy name, we pray. Amen.