Our church has a group of volunteers — the men's work crew — who meet at the church every Wednesday morning from September to June to do odd jobs and minor repairs around the church building. Over the years, they have saved the church thousands of dollars. The men range in age from early sixties to mid-eighties. They have acquired quite a collection of tools to help with their projects, most of them donated by the men themselves.
Work projects have included:
- Replacing light bulbs in the sanctuary;
- Installing newly finished cupboard doors in the kitchen;
- Building new shelves for the church library; and
- Setting up the nativity display on the front lawn every November (a part of the "Festival of Northern Lights" that takes place in Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada, every year from mid-November to mid-January).
No job is too big or too small.
As well as doing their odd jobs, the men experience great fellowship working together and enjoying their coffee break each week.
What a great example of doing something that they enjoy, using talents that God has given them, to serve the church and others!
We all have unique gifts and abilities, and we can use them to serve God and His kingdom. All that we have is a gift from God, and should be used for God.
- 1 Peter 4:10
- Each one, as a good manager of God's different gifts, must use for the good of others the special gift he has received from God. (GNT)
- God has given each of you some special abilities; be sure to use them to help each other, passing on to others God's many kinds of blessings. (TLB)
- Like good stewards of the manifold grace of God, serve one another with whatever gift each of you has received. (NRSV)
How can you, like the men's work crew in our church, use the gifts and abilities that God has given you to serve and bless others?
Ephesians 2:10 – For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. (NIV)
Colossians 3:17 – And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. (NIV)
Colossians 3:23 – Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men. (NIV)
Prayer: Heavenly Father, we thank You that You have given each of us unique gifts to use to serve You and others. Help us to discover our gifts and to be willing to use them for Your glory. Thank You for those who are using their gifts to serve one another in the church and in the world around them. In Jesus' name, we pray. Amen.
Listen to this devotional
Listen while you read: "Be Still My Soul" (Lyrics)