Listen to this devotional:
Listen while you read: "Breathe On Me Breath Of God"1 (Lyrics)
On several occasions over the past twenty-five years, I have made lists of people for whom I wanted the love of God to become real. About ten years ago, I began to walk with God in a ministry of intercessory prayer. Intercession is prayer made on behalf of other people. I have come to believe that intercessory prayer is one of the key things that I can do to invoke the wonderful prospect of knowing God's love for the people on my lists. As I go about my activities of daily living, I am often making intercession.
The best fit I have found for the concept of intercessory prayer is a sentence in the Lord's Prayer, "Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil." (Matthew 6:13a KJV) In regard to evil, therefore, my intercessory prayers have taken on two aims: to bind and to destroy:
1. Matthew 12:29 – Or how can one enter a strong man's house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man? And then he will plunder his house. (NKJV)
In the name of Christ who has all authority, I speak words that command evil to let go of persons, resources, or possessions that I believe rightfully belong to God. Then I wait in peace, all the while giving thanks and praise to my Lord.
2. 1 John 3:8b – The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil's work. (NIV)
In the name of Christ Jesus my Lord, I speak words to seek and enforce the destruction of evil's work:
- When I observe a person speak or act wilfully in a way that would not lead to God's blessing, I ask for rebellion to be destroyed. Then I wait in peace, all the while giving thanks and praise to my Lord.
- When I am aware of unlovely behaviour such as envy, rudeness, self-seeking, short temper, unforgiveness, delight in evil, unkindness, impatience, or despair, I ask for the barrier that prevents God's love from being expressed to be destroyed. Then I wait in peace, all the while giving thanks and praise to my Lord.
- When I know of a process like disease operating to prevent life and joy, I ask for evil's scheme to be destroyed. Then I wait in peace, all the while giving thanks and praise to my Lord.
Are any of you intercessors?
Prayer: In the name of Christ Jesus our Lord, we ask to know You better and to obtain Your help as we seek to encourage other people to know You better, too. Amen.
Forward this devotional Share this devotional on Facebook Like PresbyCan on Facebook