Psalm 135:3 – Praise the Lord, for the Lord is good; celebrate his wonderful name with music. (NLT)
As this Christmas season fast approaches, we find ourselves overwhelmed with Christmas advertising. It seems that the malls have been decorated since the end of October. Magazines are filled with quick Christmas recipes. The schools send notes home telling of Christmas concerts. It seems we are surrounded by lists to do, lists to buy, lists of who to send cards to, lists of what to bake, lists of parties to attend, lists of who has what on sale this week.
Now please don't get the wrong idea. I love the Christmas season, and I must admit that it is not easy to keep things in perspective at times and to hold onto the real reason for the season.
I recently came upon this list, which I feel shows how easily the world can entangle us.
- Top Picks from The Pros for Christmas
1. Apple iPhone
2. Lululemon (I had to check this one out, as I didn't know what is was: clothes)
3. Nintendo Wii
4. Designer handbags
8. Apple iPod
9. Diamond rings
10. Victoria's Secret
My list, though, would go something like this:
- 1. Peace on earth and goodwill to all men
2. Lend a hand to my neighbours
3. Share a kind word with people I meet
4. Help out in a men's or women's shelter
5. Recognize our Saviour's birth
6. Remember those who have gone before us
7. Spend time and enjoy fellowship with friends and family
8. Bless people whenever I can, at all times of the year
9. Turn the TV and other electronic appliances off and spend time talking with each other
10. Shop for the less fortunate and then drop these items off at a shelter
This Christmas season, let's try and give the next generation of children a real gift, and set an example of celebrating the birth of our Lord and Saviour.
How about a Christian's top picks for Christmas? How do you think your list would compare?
Prayer: Dear Lord, we truly understand that You are the reason for this season. Help us to bring Your love and light into the hearts of lives of our friends and family who do not have a relationship with You. Remind us to invite others to a service that celebrates Your birth in praise and worship this Christmas. In Jesus' name, we pray. Amen.