Colossians 1:15-17;19-20 – He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. He is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead. For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross. (NIV)
- Glittering peacock-coloured images flashing and dancing
- surround sound bombarding the senses,
- making visible a commercial promise of vitality.
- "You, too can be such a one"
- if only
- this make over, that haut couture chemise
- this diet, that liposuction,
- promised joy, promised beauty,
- promised success, promised happiness,
- if only,
- you will buy this cosmetic, do that dance,
- stay in this hotel, buy that mutual fund,
- the promises drone.
- For the many, promises denied.
- compels, coerces, trying more and new,
- seeking alternative experiences,
- trying the taudry, the tainted tinsel,
- all to no avail.
- the wind whistles through.
Low self esteem seems to be a twentieth century buzz word. Low self image plagues the populace. Seeking self improvement, many despair after trying many highly touted cures. Too bad. So much time is wasted in all the wrong places. So much true joy missed, without Jesus Christ. Did I hear a groan? Yes, I'm going to talk about Jesus. You see, Jesus is who did it for me. Jesus is the one who offers the cure for low self esteem because Jesus took all our stuff and stuffed it for good. When Jesus died, he died for you and for me. He did that for us so we wouldn't have to die — eternally that is, but that's another devotion. Jesus took my low self esteem and replaced it with his assessment of me. Jesus declared me free and good. Therefore I am — free and good, that is. There's a lot of joy in knowing that, but there is even more joy in knowing Jesus personally.
Prayer: Dear Jesus, My self esteem has been in the landfill. I've tried it all, and messed up really badly. Take me and give my self esteem a make-over. Remake me Jesus in your image, instead of the one I've had. Help me to really know you and to feel the love you have for me. Give me the joy that comes from knowing you. Amen.