Twas On That Night
Author: John Morison
1. 'Twas on that night when doomed to know
The eager rage of every foe,
That night in which He was betrayed,
The Saviour of the world took bread;
2. And after thanks and glory given
To Him that rules in earth and heaven,
That symbol of His flesh He broke,
And thus to all His followers spoke:
3. 'My broken body thus I give
For you, for all; take, eat, and live;
And oft the sacred right renew
That brings My wondrous love to view.'
4. Then in His hands the cup He raised,
And God anew He thanked and praised,
While kindness in His bosom glowed,
And from His lips salvation flowed.
5. 'My blood I thus pour forth,' He cries,
'To cleanse the soul in sin that lies;
In this the covenant is sealed,
And heaven's eternal grace revealed.
6. 'With love to man this cup is fraught;
Let all partake the sacred draught;
Through latest ages let it pour,
In memory of My dying hour.'