How Firm A Foundation
Author: 'K' in Rippon's Selection
1. How firm a foundation, ye saints of the Lord,
Is laid for your faith in His excellent word!
What more can He say than to you He hath said,
To you that for refuge to Jesus have fled?
2. 'Fear not, I am with thee; O be not dismayed!
I, I am thy God, and will still give thee aid;
I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee
Upheld by My righteous omnipotent hand.
3. 'When through the deep waters I call thee
The rivers of woe shall not thee overflow;
For I will be with thee, thy troubles to bless,
And sanctify to thee thy deepest distress.
4. 'When through fiery trials thy pathway shall lie,
My grace, all-sufficient, shall be thy supply:
The flames shall not hurt thee; I only design
Thy dross to consume, and thy gold to refine.
5. 'The soul that on Jesus hath leaned for repose
I will not -- I will not desert to His foes;
That soul, though all hell should endeavour to
I'll never -- no, never -- no, never forsake!'