Psalm 145:3-6 – Great is the Lord and most worthy of praise; His greatness no one can fathom. One generation will commend Your works to another; they will tell of your mighty acts. They will speak of the glorious splendour of Your majesty and I will meditate on your wonderful works. They will tell of the power of Your awesome works, and I will proclaim your great deeds. (NIV)
I recently received an e-mail entitled "Where was God?" It was in reference to the recent terrorist attacks in the U.S. It is almost inevitable that at such times people ask, "Where was God?" and wonder why He allowed it to happen.
This e-mail referred to many things that God was busy doing during that tragic time. Such as:
- discouraging people from taking those flights. Even though they held over 1000 passengers, only 266 were aboard.
- giving terrified passengers the ability to stay calm. None of the family members who received calls from loved ones said anything about passengers screaming in the background.
- giving strength to passengers on one of the flights to try to overtake the hijackers.
- creating obstacles for employees at the World Trade Center. Only 20,000 were at the towers when the first jet hit, even though the buildings held over 50,000 workers. Many people told the media that they were late for work or had traffic delays!
- holding up the buildings so that 2/3 of the workers could get out.
- preventing the towers from toppling over. When the towers fell, they fell inward. Many more lives would have been lost if they had toppled over.
So God was very busy that day.
How often do we stop to think of the good things God does for us? We are always so quick to blame God when something goes wrong in our lives, but are we as quick to thank God when something goes right? He is always with us. He laughs when we laugh. He weeps when we weep. He comforts us in times of sorrow. He encourages us when we feel overwhelmed.
Matthew 28:20 – And surely I will be with you always, to the very end of the age (NIV)
Let us take time today to notice how God is at work in our lives!
Prayer: Gracious God, forgive us when we blame You for the things that go wrong in our lives. Help us to feel Your presence with us always — in good times and bad times — and to know that You will always be with us. Help us to see the world through Your eyes and be more aware of the miracles that You perform in our lives each day. Our lives are a gift from You. May we live them in such a way that You may be glorified forever and ever. In Jesus' name. Amen.